Monday, July 2, 2012

GraphicConverter Upgrade to 64-bit and Scanning

If you use GraphicConverter, you have hopefully upgraded to the latest version.  I make it a practice to always get upgrades when they are announced.  Of course, if you don't have the latest hardware, that can sometimes cause problems.  That is what happened to me when I installed the latest version of GraphicConverter.

Version 8 of GraphicConverter came out around the end of May and was completely rewritten to take advantage of the latest 64-bit systems.  It requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or higher.  You can learn more about the program here: http://www.lemkesoft.com .

I use GraphicConverter every day to manage the images of the items I sell on eBay.  I was using an Epson WorkForce 600 multi-function wireless printer/scanner/copier/fax machine, which was TWAIN compliant.  That meant that I could summon the scanner using the option in the GraphicConverter menus.  After scanning the item, the image would open right up in GraphicConverter where I could prepare it for use in my eBay auction.

After installing the GraphicConverter upgrade, my Epson scanner was not recognized by GraphicConverter.

After sending an email to Thorsten Lemke, the author of the software, he suggested that the Epson scanner driver was not 64-bit compatible.  Since I bought the Epson in 2009, I was sure he was probably right.  From my point of view, it appears he went right to work and came out with version 8.1 of the software on June 4.  This new version allowed you to choose to run the software in 32-bit mode.

To do this you shut down GraphicConverter and find the application (usually in your Applications folder).  Select the icon and do a "Get Info" either from the Finder menu or by pressing "Command-I". You will find a check-box in the "General" section of the "Get Info" window pane where you can choose to "Open in 32-bit mode".

Once I did that and opened GraphicConverter, I tried to summon the Epson scanner.  I could see that GraphicConverter now recognized that it was out there, and it would work normally one time.  But after letting it sit for awhile and trying to use it again, GraphicConverter hung.  I had to force quit GraphicConverter in order to continue with my work.  Mr. Lemke concluded that the problem was with the Epson driver.

When I used the Epson scanner software that came with the Workforce 600, the driver had always annoyed me because it would time out, forcing me to quit the Epson scanner software and restart it.  My guess is that when I was using the scanner from within GraphicConverter, the scanner driver timed out and when I tried to use it the second time, it brought GraphicConverter down.  I let Mr. Lemke know that I would just use the Epson scanner outside of the GraphicConverter program and save the resulting file.  I would then have to open the file in GraphicConverter as an additional step.

If you read my previous blog entries, you know that the Epson Workforce 600 died soon after all of this and I ended up getting a Hewlett-Packard Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, which isn't TWAIN compliant.  So it can't be used from within GraphicConverter either.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated mostly to avoid flame wars. I will try to get comments up within 24 hours of receiving them.