Monday, June 25, 2012

Scanning problem with new HP Officejet

I was busily scanning with my new HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, and started to scan a multi-page document, loading it into the automatic document feeder.  It scanned the first two pages, but then the HP Scanning software reported an error:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9931.)

So that was weird.  Since the first two pages of the five-page document had been scanned successfully, I thought I'd load the last three pages into the document feeder and try again.  One page scanned and was added to the queue, but then I got the same error and the last two pages weren't scanned.

Time for some research on the internet.  I found that indeed I was not the only one experiencing this problem.  And I found a really good posting on the HP Support Forum with some responses by an "HP Expert" that attempts to provide some solutions.  The last post dated February 20, 2012, however, indicated that the solutions proposed did not fix the problem.  (You can see the discussion here:  Scanning with HP OfficeJet Pro 860 Plus on Lion )

Like the person who was experiencing the problem, I too was using the document feeder to do a multi-page document and was using the "Black & White" as opposed to the "Text" mode.

The work-around appears to be to not use the HP scanning software, but rather Apple's Image Capture program.  The person who was experiencing the problem said he was also able to scan from within Apple's Preview program, but I tried it, and I crashed Preview.  Image Capture is the only program that works for me.

Of course, Apple is blaming Hewlett Packard and Hewlett Packard is blaming Apple.  In the meantime, I'll have to live with the work-around of using Image Capture.

September 11, 2012 - Update:

Since posting this blog, both Apple and Hewlett Packard have issued updates that appear to have resolved the issue of not being able to scan multi-page grey-scale documents.  The update from Apple came through in a Software Update.  The update from Hewlett Packard showed up on the printer's interface panel.  The walk-through was very simple to follow.  I have scanned several multi-page documents in grey-scale since, and have not encountered any more problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated mostly to avoid flame wars. I will try to get comments up within 24 hours of receiving them.